Rescue teams in Japan on Tuesday (10/7/2018) are racing with time to evacuate as many residents as lost due to flash floods and landslides. Japan Today reported, the death toll has so far reached 132 people.
This is the highest number of deaths caused by rain in Japan since 1982. Search efforts continue in the most difficult areas of Hiroshima and Okayama, as well as the surrounding prefectures despite the first 72 hours since the disaster has passed.
The 72-hour duration is considered a decisive period for finding people in a state of safety.
Japanese Prime Minister Cancel Abroad Heavy rain in Japan especially from Friday (7/6/2018) to Saturday (7/7/2018) morning has triggered a landslide and a widespread flood. Reported by AFP, rescue workers check one by one house residents to look for survivors or the dead.
“This is what we call network operations, we check every house to see if anyone is explored inside,” an Okayama prefectural official said. “We know if this operation is competing with time, we try as hard as we can,” he added.
Firefighters from outside the prefecture were also deployed to conduct a victim search mission. “I’m afraid, the elderly who live alone may not be able to save themselves,” said Hideto Yamanaka, who leads firefighters. “Physically weak people may be late getting out of the house when heavy rains suddenly descend and then flood the area,” he said. A 61-year-old resident, Fumiko Inokuchi, was inside the house as the flood began to soak the floor below her house.
He survived last Saturday, crossing the street to a refuge in a nursing home. “I watched my house sink underwater and I could not do anything,” he said. On Monday (9/7/2018),
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe canceled four overseas visits as he learned the number of deaths from the catastrophe continued to rise. About 75,000 police, firefighters and soldiers were deployed to conduct search and rescue operations in central and western Japan.