Melakoni continued Group D eliminations at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Argentina and Croatia are equally strong with a goalless play throughout the first half. The deadlock then broke early in the second half, in which Croatia maximized the blunder of the opposing team.
Error Willy Caballero successfully exploited Croatia to create an opening goal from the foot of Ante Rebic. Argentina’s injury picked up after Luka Modric extended Croatia’s lead with a beautiful goal from just outside the box, ending with Ivan Rakitic’s kick in injury time.
This defeat makes Argentina at the end of the horn because it only collects one point from the first two games. Lionel Messi cs has the potential to repeat the last bad achievement received 16 years ago.
Victory over Argentina ensured Croatia advanced to the round of 16 large. Croatia followed the hosts of Russia, Uruguay and France, who had earlier escaped.
The following statistics match Argentina vs Croatia are summarized from Opta:
– This is Argentina’s biggest defeat in the World Cup group phase since losing 1-6 at the hands of Czechoslovakia in 1958.
– Argentina conceded in the first two World Cup games for the first time since 1986 (3-1 win over South Korea and 1-1 draw against Italy).
– Argentina have gone through four games without a win at the World Cup for the first time in history.
– It was Argentina’s first defeat in the World Cup group phase in 12 games since losing 1-0 to England in 2002.
– Before today, Argentina’s last defeat at the World Cup apart from Germany was the defeat of England in 2002.
– This will be the first since 2002 for Argentina can not win the group.
– Argentina could have been eliminated in the group phase – in three times Argentina were eliminated in the group phase, Brazil won the World Cup (1958, 1962, and 2002).
– Ante Rebic scored his second goal for Croatia in his 18th appearance.
– It was Rebic’s first goal since his debut against Liechtenstein in August 2013.
– Luka Modric has scored in an international match in a row for the first time.
– The goal was Modric’s first international goal from open play in more than two years.
– It was also the 50th goal born in the 2018 World Cup
– Croatia have won their first two World Cup matches for the second time (3-1 win over Jamaica and 1-0 over Japan in 1998).