Auto Insurance Quote-Florida : The Scene
Florida, the ‘Sunshine State’, has some interesting car insurance rules for motorists. Like most drivers, a Florida motorist wants a car insurance policy that is good, as well as affordable. The problem, however, is that there are so many choices that selecting one can be a bit of a headache. Before you buy car insurance, get a little information about the motoring scene.At present, the population of Florida stands at roughly 20 million. With each passing year, add about 10% to that. This has led to road congestion and an increase in the number of accidents along with auto thefts. There is no alternative to auto insurance and rates are skyrocketing like never before. But, never fear, you can get coverage for your vehicle at a reasonable rate provided you look for car insurance in the right way and in the right places.Auto Insurance Quote-Florida : State Requirements
It is mandatory for motorists in Florida to have car insurance under its no-fault legislation. No-fault is designed to lower of insurance costs by eliminating much of the complicated legal process. Under the provisions of the law, motorists are required to insure for their own protection, but in the event of an accident they cannot sue the other driver. No matter who is at fault, a motorist will claim for his/her damages from his/her insurance company.
As per state law a motorist must have coverage of at least $10,000 for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and $10,000 for Property Damage (PD).
The flip side is that though this coverage makes you legal, it cannot be considered adequate if the accident is a serious one. In finalizing your Florida car insurance, I recommend PIP/PD of at least $100k/$100k. Be aware that any injuries or damages in excess of your coverage will be paid from your pocket.
Auto Insurance Quote-Florida : Other Important Coverage
PIP and PD only apply to your medical expenses and the property damages that you may inflict. Consider protection against these additional perils:
- Collision – Insures your car for collision damages.
- Comprehensive – Covers your vehicle for theft, as well as damages caused by fire, Mother Nature and vandalism.
- Bodily injury – Insures for injury to other parties for which you are responsible.
- Gap insurance – Covers the excess of the loan balance on your auto and the amount recoverable through your collision policy.
Auto Insurance Quote-Florida : Shop AroundIf you act and decide wisely, you can save a lot when you shop for insurance in Florida. Always compare when you shop and use free websites like Quote Wizard and 2Insure4Less. You fill up a form one time and three to four quotes would be sent to you. You choose the best after comparing quotes.
Auto Insurance Quote-Florida : Potential Savings
However, keep these things in mind when you are in the process of deciding on auto insurance:
- First off, insurance companies provide huge discounts for a clean driving record. If you qualify, make sure it is considered in the quotes you are reviewing.
- A higher deductible will reduce the cost of your collision and comprehensive coverage. $250 and $500 are the most common amounts, but $1,000 is becoming more popular. What amount are you prepared to pay out-of-pocket for each accident?
- If you drive an older, depreciated car, think about eliminating collision and comprehensive coverage.
- If you are a senior and have not completed a course of mature drivers, consider it now. Florida regulations mandate that senior citizens taking this course be given lower rates for 3 years.
- Consider adding safety features to your car. Many companies offer lower rates for self adjusting seat belts, anti-lock brakes, air bags and anti-theft alarms.