England were knocked out of the 2018 World Cup after being beaten by Croatia 0-1 at Luzhniki Stadium. England’s defeat brings up some interesting facts.
Had a lead through Kieran Trippier free kick goal, England lost to Croatia after Ivan Perisic and Mario Mandzukic turn the situation to 1-2.
Quoted from Opta, here are some interesting facts after England eliminated Croatia in the 2018 World Cup semifinals:
1. England lost four consecutive wins in the semi-finals of major tournaments: the 1968 European Cup (vs Yugoslavia), the 1990 World Cup (v Germany), the 1996 European Cup (vs Germany), and the 2018 World Cup (vs Croatia).
2. Croatian Winger Ivan Perisic scored four goals in the World Cup for Croatia. Only Davor Suker (6 goals) has more goals for Croatia at the World Cup.
3. England became the second team after Italy (World Cup 1990) who lost in the semi-finals despite winning at the end of the first half. A total of 17 other teams managed to qualify for the finals.
4. Kieran Trippier became the second Englishman to score a free-kick in the World Cup since 1966, after David Beckham at the 1998 and 2006 World Cups.
5. England create 12 goals in the 2018 World Cup until the end of the semifinal round. The record is the most productive in the history of The Three Lions in a World Cup edition.
6. Of the 12 goals that England created in the 2018 World Cup, nine of them were created through a dead ball scheme. The record is the most for the UK since 1966.
7. Croatia became the first team since France in the 1998 World Cup (vs Croatia) who were able to win in the semi-finals despite falling behind.
8. Mario Mandzukic’s goal is Croatia’s longest goal in the World Cup, as well as the goal of Britain’s most late conceded in the World Cup (108 minutes and 3 seconds).